Sunday, February 14, 2010

Gone Indian...

Townsend



I run an annual event at the Herkimer Home State Historic Site in Little Falls, NY. The event started out as a day of maple sugaring, showing how it was done in the Valley during the 18th century.

A few years ago, I came up with the idea of making it a full weekend event with a RevWar military encampment, presentations, skirmishes, etc.

Attendance (by public & re-enactors) has steadily increased. The one thing we're usually missing are those who portray Iroquois warriors. The vast majority of the small raids here during the War were by Mohawk and Seneca war parties. So this year I decided to change my impression for the event.

I'll be going in full Indian dress. Breech-clout, leggings, mocassins, shirt, matchcoat, war paint, etc. I have cut my hair into a scalplock. It's about as long as my 4 fingers are wide, right now. 2 more months to go.

I should have my Type G from Mike Brooks by then. I already have the powder horn, slit pouch and trade knife as well as a simple sash to wear. Paint is ordered (already posess bear grease) and so is the silk ribbon for the leggings (red wool w/ dk. blue ribbon) and matchcoat (red wool also with dk. blue and dull gold ribbon).

I'm having quite a bit of fun organizing the research and figuring out what I need. The only thing slowing me down is the recovery from my Carpal Tunnel surgery. Sewing moc, leggings and ribbon isn't as easy as it used to be.

Will keep all posted as I go

2 comments:

  1. You will do just fine! You were pretty enthusiastic about last time I talked to you.
    I admire your spirit for doing it,representing the key players in North America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see images when you are done!

    ReplyDelete